Shadow Publications Store
You got questions about "Closet Treats?" Found a fuck-up? Want to berrate the FiendMaster for making you listen to this? Do you see the Ice Cream Man in your sleep? Well, post your complaints here.
If enough fiendlings ask for it, can we get the threatened Bert and Ernie story even though you eventually got questions?
I have 2 kids who are on anti-psychotic medications. Since I know a couple of things about mental disorders, what is Trey's diagnosis?
Does it matter?
When you first started writing Closet Treats, did you know that it would end the way it did or was that the direction the story took you?
Alright, you keep badgering us for questions, so here you go:
1. Did a real-life person inspire the characters you depict in Closet Treats?
2. Why do you hate ice cream vans and ice cream men?
3. Were you afraid of closets and the things that dwell within them when you were a child? How about at present?
4. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream and why? (Don't pussy out and say strawberry or cherry because it looks like blood unless that's really really true.)
5. Can you please write an unfortunate story featuring disney characters even though I sent you questions? PLEASE?
6. Do you have other books in progress that we can suffer through?
7. I started listening right AFTER you stopped selling signed eBooks. Are you going to do that again, or are you going to leave me in the cold, you bastard?
8. Why did you pick psychological horror over other types of horror? Do you just feel squeamish about bodily injury, but you're down with driving people insane?
9. Final question: What the fuck is wrong with you?
First item on the agenda is not a question. It's a statement. You suck in an epic, amazing fashion. I want you to write a book two to Closet Treats. In fact, I demand one, you bastard. I don't care if I have to pay for it. I need another Closet Treats book in my life immediately.
10. Who is Tony Downs?
11. What is the Ice Cream Man?
12. Did the Ice Cream Man die, or is he off in another neighborhood, savoring new delights?
13. Where is the next book? If you don't have one to hand... I might find you and keep you in my guest bedroom until you write it- Misery style.*
*Please note that all threats to your life are said (mostly) in jest. I don't have a guest bedroom.
You kill lots of people in your stories. Is is hard for you to kill a character that has made it through most of the story? Do you ever become attatched to a character and have a hard time killing them in the story, even when it serves to make the story better?
well this is more of a comment than a question but, what exactly made you put in there a wife for tray i know its a main character but i would think that if it was just him and his boy and like that his wife had died it would make it a whole lot more scary being that they are even more alone and he doesnt have as many ppl to turn to
Alright FiendMaster, I've gotta couple questions for you.
1) CT is set in the Houston area. Why do you like writing your stories in that locale? Is it just that your familiarity with the area makes it easier to set up/create scenes?
2) As an longtime fiendling it was good to see you bring Tony Downs into the story. Is his appearance a possible teaser or prelude to more stories of Tony to come?
3) I think some of the inspiration for CT was found in your rant on "The Death of a Childhood"? But what sparked the Idea for the story and its name "Closet Treats"?
4) How much research into the medications Trey is being given for his condition did you have to do?
5) As you have mentioned this story started with a slow burn. Why did you decide to write this novel as such? Even though it has played out very well.
6) You once told me you "Payed good money to make that happen". Your statement was in re to me tell you the icecream man in our neighborhood plays the same damnable music. How much would it cost me to change that? ;p
7) I noticed you also brought Dewhurst into CT as well as a mention of Tattoo by Trey. Are you going start writing your stories within a "Cooleyverse timeline" where the same characters/times frames/locations can intersect in other stories you write?
Well that was more than a couple! But as the CT story continues I may have more to add to this list!
Is there someone in your life who suffers like our main character?
Was there an evil Ice Cream man in your childhood?
How far outside of Houston does our main character live?
Why do we all suck so much at Disc Golf?
How do you write so much, and still have a wife?
Who are the furry fiendlings? Pets?
How many legs do they have?
Are they flammable?
Will our main character appear in more stories, ridding the world of evil?
That is, if he doesn't die?
will you be going into any further detail about "the grubby man" like im thinking he could possibly the ice cream man dont tell me if he is but just if hes going to be explained further
You've done a great job posting regularly, and ahead of time many times. How far ahead are you writing and recording?
So, why can you do accents, but not women's voices? Or maybe Dew's voice in Chapter 14 is a woman's voice, in which case, great job!
Noticed you used the word wan a lot in this story while describing scenes. Reminds me too much about the old Michael Jackson joke - "How are you today?" "I'm feeling a little Juan". Other than that, good story.
Listening, it felt like Trey tousled his son's hair every time he was near him.
Used 5 times!
"wan" is used a total of 8 times out of >70k words! What you saying, man? :)
Not criticising, just saying everytime I heard it, I thought of a pedophile. Which may be appropriate in this case.
And, I'll freely admit I may be tainted by having listened to Roe Conn for a decade where this joke was repeatedly made, so maybe it only stood out to me.
Guess I need to do a frequency check on that one...
What started the beef with happy endings? Whenever I hear you say that you don't believe in happy endings, I get this idea of you watching some Disney flick, standing up in the theater and going, "Man, fuck this shit!" and walking out.
I know this isn't a Closet Treats question specifically, but considering the CT ending, I'd say it's relevant.
1)So why the boggy man in the closet and why an ice cream man? Do you have a bad experience as a youngster with either of these? Is so, what precipitated the experience? I ask this because when my nephew was very young a ballon popped and scared him. He wouldn't go near a ballon for a long time and wouldn't let anyone in the family near one. He would grab our hands and pull us away.
2) What do you have against the George R. Brown? I love the building. It brings a certain amount of color to the downtown area and it looks like a boat. Hmmm! Perhaps I should write a story where something bad happens to someone named Cooley at the G.R.B. Perhaps he will have delusions of the building being a ship. Who knows!!!!!! Mwaaaaahaaaaaa.
A.) will you be using any other boogie men from our childhoods in future stories?
B.) what kind of research have you done into the psychosis that Trey is under?
Copyright 2013 Paul Elard Cooley